Old 01-28-2014, 01:56 PM
Big Daddy
Forum Regular
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Alabaster with Cedar and stick with 53,000 miles for $6200 Cert & Etest

Originally Posted by Ottawa John
Ditto for me. I bought mine from a dealer in Michigan. No taxes due or paid because the title was not transferred to my name - only signed over with a bill of sale. Dealer provided a transport sticker - no plates. And you do need to advise the border about three days in advance to allow them time to check to SN. The dealer brought the car through Detroit/Windsor for me and I handled the Canadian side customs. Everything about how to do this is online, and it's amazingly simple when you have the proper paperwork and the border has experience in this. You must pay the Federal portion of the HST at the border, and the provincial portion when you get it home and license it. The DMV can be a problem here because they don't always know what's going on, so keep your receipts as proof.
As I said this in NOW the legal process to follow (private sale) if you want a trouble free entry back to Canada. I did not make the rules but was advised (lawyer, Customs and Transport Canada)) to follow the process step by step as per my original post. Take the time to investigate yourself before you buy a car from the US