View Single Post
Old 10-21-2014, 06:04 AM
RED DOG
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Re: What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Originally Posted by SRT6GRL
Well, I hate to give the answer because it will sound stupid. But here it goes:

First of all I don't think there was any kind of water issue in the passenger floor. It was beautifully clean and dry looking. No evidence that it had an issue. But I did the dielectric anyway because it couldn't hurt I figured.
I did drive around the block afterwards and it SEEMED fine. Didn't act as bad as it had the previous day. But I was only in the car for 3 mins. So....not so sure how accurate that is.
Anyway, have a friend with a transmission shop. So he is gonnna check the level for me
since I haven't had the chance to make a dipstick yet... lol... not have a temp tool.
The part that will sound stupid is: I only did the dielectric grease on the TCM under the carpet. And on another post there was mention of a connector at the transmission that I do not know where it is, nor have the ability to reach, so if there is corrosion there I dont know. Lol
You are correct . . . the dielectric grease can only be used on the TCM prongs and its wire connector (found mounted on that plate under the passenger side floorboard). The connection at the transmission is an entirely different animal. You should only be concerned about that if you see a transmission fluid leak (commonly the o-ring on the connector part) or if you end up having to go into the transmission to replace the conductor plate inside the transmission.

I experienced an issue on one of my cars where the transmission would intermittently go into limp mode. I replaced the conductor plate and it STILL had the same problem. The eventually found solution was to remove the TCM, clean up the prongs and apply dielectric grease to the prongs and the wire connector. The issue never returned.