Thread: Radar Detectors
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2014, 07:25 PM
Big Daddy
Forum Regular
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Radar Detectors

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
The law makers took away detectors in DOT certified trucks long ago. It was deemed for safety reasons. This was done during the 55 mph days. Speed limits for big trucks is growing across the nation to 70 mph again, and detectors aren't really needed. Most of us still use CB radios, and monitor where the officers are. As I stated earlier, on open roads I rarely enforced anything under 15 over, and most troopers are like that. But, with the growing limit now at 70, I would say that has shrunk to 10 over, so running 80 in a 70 isn't going to get you stopped for the most part. But anything over, and you are toast. Now, in smaller jurisdictions, you better be down to 5 over or less. I always concentrated on the guy in a hurry, weaving in and out of traffic, hauling *** if you will. Passing on the right, tailgating, flashing lights, honking horns....if that is you? Grab your ***. That is who they are looking for. I won't say there aren't those who love to run speed traps. We were on the national register as a speed trap here in Cicero, and probably still are. You can probably thank me for that. WE have a section of road with out side walks, where the speed limit is 30 mph. We try to keep people to under 40. And we were writing a lot of citations as it is a popular short cut. Speed limits are there for a reason, and traffic studies are done to justify those limits. Studies include number of accidents, number of vehicles traveling the road at peak times, and intersections, whether residential or commercial, etc, etc. There will always be the cat and mouse game of speeding, just do it where there isn't a lot of heavy traffic and you should be fine. Cops only enforce areas they are assigned to, and usually for a good reason.

Unfortunately our speed limit for the most is 60mph with long straight roads, Most drivers will push to 70 or 69 as the magic # not to get bumped up top a larger fine. I believe that 70 should be enough with today's car (vs those made ion the 50-80's) and most new roads built over the past 2 decades have better banking and rain roll off angles to help prevent skidding and hydroplaning in most conditions. All this does not help with the lack of driver ability or capabilities. This is why in my opinion we should never have our own version of the Autobahn