Old 01-03-2015, 01:19 PM
TexasSRT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Seat Heaters in Racing Seats using Factory Switch How-To

Here are the seats re-installed and seat heaters on. I finished this so late I haven't had time to drive the car with the seat heaters on to get their full effect but I did turn them on and they work great. I will report back after having them in the car and using them for a while.

A couple other things I wanted to note on, I try to make everything I do reversible and I feel this way was the best, all the wires I cut on the factory seats can be spliced back together. I also liked the fact I didn't have to cut any wires going to the seat belt buckle. You also don't have to remove the seat heater white and black plugs from the module if you are doing the seats and heaters at the same time, you can just leave it plugged in and cut the 2 blue and 2 brown wires. I did it this way because I had installed the seats in the car about 2 weeks before the heaters and I needed the seat belt buckle back then.

When you are shopping for seat heater elements try to find a set that just has a red and a black wire coming out of the elements. I ordered a set that had the seat bottom plug into the seat back and the seat back element had all kinds of wires running to it. I am guessing because of the adjustable temperature switch. So with figuring out the wiring on the first seat, removing both seats, tearing them down, taking pictures and putting it all back together took me about 2 hours.

The factory seat heater switch has a low and high setting. The way the switch is feeds a different voltage to the seat heater elements and that is how they get 2 different settings. Low setting is about 8 volts and high is about 12 volts. The more voltage you feed to the heater elements the hotter they get. If I missed something or if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

The factory seats weighed D/S 52.2 LBS P/S 47.4 LBS
The racing seats with slider, brackets and heaters weighed
D/S 37.4 LBS P/S 38.4 LBS

Total Weight Savings 23.8 LBS

Last edited by TexasSRT; 01-03-2015 at 01:24 PM.