View Single Post
Old 06-11-2006, 07:37 PM
GulfCoast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Considering Crossfire Couple Purchase

Originally Posted by intenseblu
there is really only one good reason to get a crossfire... PRICE...

want power ? there are cars that have 4 doors and cost 20k brand new that will outrun it every step of the way (srt-4).

want handling ? unless its a SRT-6 model, it will get its *** handed to it by 4 door evo's and sti's (.90+ skid pad vs .80 - .86 skid pad of non SRT-6 crossfire).

want luxury feel ? the v6 engine in this car sounds horrible compared to newer more advanced offerings from the likes of nissan... (valve train noise, clutch chatter, it sounds like a mercedes, a diesel 1980s mercedes, ok not that bad but its not what it should be).

but... i got it brand new for 22k... would i do it again ? considering the deals i got on trading in my GT cruiser and then the price i paid for the crossfire... sure... i pay less for this a month than i would for a new civic and it sure as hell beats that.

but really... drive the car, it is not a umber engineering feat... it IS a great looking piece of rolling art work though... the fancy engineering of the engine really falls short when you experience the performance and sound it produces... but you can be sure that it will last for a dam good long time, this is one of the few engines left to use a timing chain... i like that.
You make some interesting points. I would say, though, that I'm not looking for a car that does one thing extremely well but falls down in every other part of the experience. The Crossfire seems to do a lot of things well, if nothing the best. The SRT-4 is a front-wheel drive car, which I don't want. And, it seems like a "boy racer" car (the "boy" part of me fled long ago). I agree that Nissan makes great engines, but "fit and finish" seem to take a back seat to the engines (from what I've heard from a Nissan owner). The Crossfire I drove had a very nice sound to it, throatier and deeper than I expected for a 6-cylinder car. Frankly, I think it sounds better than the more-powerful 4s out there, such as the S2000s (a car I very much like).

I haven't decided on the Crossfire, but, for the price, I'm becoming more and more impressed with it.

Last edited by GulfCoast; 06-11-2006 at 08:45 PM.