View Single Post
Old 04-19-2015, 09:49 PM
Telion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2000 SLK230 auto to 6 speed V8

Originally Posted by chuK_138
You'll be looking for a new trans soon after the swap. There's a reason AMG doesn't mate a manual transmission to their cars...can't handle the torque. And get a tune for that motor if you're searching for power. The E55 had the lowest output for that motor, SL55 had the highest. Same motor, different ratings because of ECU programming.
thank you for sharing the info about the power output. I don't recall the comparison between the two but I will also see if the differences can be found in compression ratios, valve size differences, manifold design and cam differences in addition to the tuning. I don't doubt that there are mapping differences in the ecu but there could be much more that leads to the varying power output.

You do pose a legitimate curiosity that someone here may know is the Crossfire trans weak? I know it will need an aftermatket clutch real fast but the trans itself how much torque and who is of proven for? I honestly think I am along way from needing to do dyno mapping or dyno tuning for power (if that's even a possibility with the benz ecu. I know they can be unlocked but I have not yet read where people have successfully done anything specific with the fuel or ignition maps other than copy one models mapping over another's by re-chipping it have the they? If I have not got that far yet I am very interested in reading about this as well and please direct me to that thread.

Please don't take my response the wrong way, I am very new to this and know very little about the SLk or the Crossfire but I have built a high hp car that the aftermatket missed so I do have a little experience from a generalized perspective.

Last edited by Telion; 04-19-2015 at 09:51 PM. Reason: typo