View Single Post
Old 06-16-2006, 10:48 PM
ben47
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quickie Oil Change Shops... Beware

In another thread someone posted a good experience they had with a Mobil 1 Lube Express oil change shop for the price of $80.00.

My biggest concern about using a quickie lube shop was, what kind of filter did they use? Was it the old paper or newer fleece filter? As some of the older forum members know, MB recalled all of their paper filters a few years back and replaced them with a better fleece filter to head off potential engine problems caused by using cheap paper filters.

I stopped by a Mobil 1 Lube Express and a Jiffy Lube to check out what type of filters they were using. The shops I visited were listed on the Mobil 1 website. Both stores use a very cheap paper filter with made in India stamped in big letters on the top. Their filters were hardly MB quality.

For those that have their oil changed instead of doing it themselves, I would recommend staying with your dealership. They have the correct filter and if something should go wrong, you have a much better chance of them correcting the problem.

The Five Star dealers in my area charge right at $95.00 for an oil and filter change. You can bring the price of a dealership oil change down to $80.00 if you bring your own oil that you bought elsewhere. Walmart and some automotive stores sell Mobil 1 0W/40 for $4.95 a quart.

So... beware, you get what you pay for at the quickie oil change shops.