View Single Post
Old 05-31-2015, 11:08 AM
onehundred80
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Re: S/C Pulley Shims

Originally Posted by Thornh
I know this in the wrong forum, but thought I might get a quicker response here instead of the wanted to buy area.

That said, I noticed about a week ago that my S/C is engaged all the time, so I need to shim it out. I emailed Eurocharged a week ago and they have not responded. I really need to get this fixed b4 caa6...

PM me with price etc, if anyone can help.

Thanks!
The SC will not be engaged all the time unless the electromagnetic clutch is energized, the clutch plate could be rubbing all the time though. The SC rotates due to the air passing through it and at low revs it may just appear to be engaged.
If the SC had a clutch plate gap originally and no gap is present now then the so called dog bone springs have stretched. This will ruin the other half of the clutch due to wear and heat and you will have an expensive repair to do.

A weak point of some of these after market SC pulleys is the springs, which come loose or do not act as springs and may just be plain steel that is not capable of the job.
The spring must be capable of repeatedly returning the clutch plate back to the stops. If the plate does not return then the amount that it does not return is deducted from the initial clutch clearance. In the end there will be no gap and the clutch plate will rub and cause damage.
I am expecting that there will be reports of this damage in future. The damage will be similar to that reported by RedDog.