Thread: idler pulley
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2015, 07:58 PM
ROB311952
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: idler pulley

Originally Posted by RED DOG
So you installed another pulley (not the actual correct part), right? You should move to eliminate that pulley by installing a LateModel21 Belt Wrap Kit or a Needswings Pulley Saver Kit. That idler pulley is a "destined to fail" part because it simply spins too fast and the bearing will fail (again). Also FYI you should not use that little torx head bolt in the center of the belt tensioner . . . you should use a 1/2 inch drive ratchet or breaker bar with a 15mm socket on the pulley nut to move the tensioner counterclockwise when slipping the belt on or off.
Where do you get the "Late model 21 belt wrap kit"? The Neesdswings Pullery saver kit is $219. It talks about replaceing a 60 mm idler pulley. The NA engine uses a 65 mm pulley and the SRT-6 uses a 90 mm idler pulley so I'm confused. Also, I followed another post on here which said to use the torx head bolt in the center of the tensioner pulley to adjust it, which worked perfectly. Are you talking about using a 15 mm on the cast boss which is off to the right of the tensioner pulley? Since the original pulley lasted 92k miles, I guess it would be more cost effective to replace it again in another 60K or 70k miles if it's going to wear out because of the speed it runs vs. spending $200 plus on that it.