Old 07-22-2015, 10:19 PM
Sweet2002
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I did a study of inlet pipe insulation and SUPRISE

Just starting to digest the math. Since we have a 4-cycle motor wouldn't the filling at 2000rpm be 500 and not 1000? Intake, compression, firing and exhaust. So recaculate?

IF the engine pistons WERE displacing 112 cubic feet it had better receive 112 cubic feet of air, minus the fuel volume. Since the intake manifolds are at 1/2 atmospheric, remember there are 2 of them, so the the motor is in fact taking in the 112 cubic feet per minute and not the 61 cubic feet stated, staying with the figures in the original post, but 61 cubes feet per inlet pipe, not about 30. So there are 60 CFM in EACH manifold/pipe.

The 4th paragraph confuses me as it seems to take cubic feet and then they become linear. I estimate each inlet pipe at 4' long from my bed. that means each has 340 cubic inches of volume, divided by 1728, cubic inches be square feet equals .2 cubic feet rounded up from .19675. If indeed each pipe is drawing in 62 cubic feet a minute then that is roughly 1 cubic foot per second(62/60)Since the pipes volume is only .2 cubic feet we'll see that we have to multiply times 5 to get the 1 cubic foot of volume per second. That means 1/5 of a cubic foot can occupy the pipe in any given time, so the 1 cubic foot is sped up 5 times to all get through in 1 second. Then how fast would atmospheric move air through a 3" diameter pipe assuming no friction, much comes into play, physics.

What I am getting at here waldig is I believe the math is skewed and then we have the physics involved making mathematical assessments about a non-insulated pipe compared to an insulated pipe very difficult to determine. A datalog using uninsulated and then insulated pipes on the same day within the least amount of time on a warm motor would still be the best way to judge the value of the insulation. It's not just the amount of time the inlet air is in each pipe but how much the pipes inside diameter is transferring the heat. Again, much physics involved, especially if the car has that wonderful killer chiller. It's likely that it takes more heat(energy) to raise 1 cubic foot of air that is 60* Farenheit to start with 1*(put any figure here) then raising 1 cubic foot of air 1* that is 100* Farenheit.
I know the Cobra Mustangs measured inlet temps at the MAF, right after the filter and then in the compressor. There must have been some correlation that the ECU then determined was going on in the inlet air from start to near finish.

I know the temp of my braiin has increased, likely destroying or harming what good cells I have left after 62 years, many spent in abusing the brain!

Really the better media for a CAI is plastic or carbon fiber IMHO, mark

Last edited by Sweet2002; 07-23-2015 at 01:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CaughtInaXF (10-25-2022)