Old 07-27-2015, 08:30 AM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Summary - 5 Years of Ownership / And Costs

5 Years of Ownership August 2010 to 2015
2004 Coupe – SSB Build 2715
Updated
Loved it when I bought it………Still love it. Purchased with 6000 miles on it for $13K. I have 34,000 miles on it now. Here’s what I’ve had to do and wanted to do thus far……….
Summary of Cost of Ownership:
Issues: $650
General Maintenance (including oil changes): $2480
Optional Mods: $1375
Total Costs - Issues, Mods and Maintenance: $4505
Details
Issues and Repairs
Tranny Conncector: went bad 4 months after purchase. Lucky for me, this was a 7/70 warranty car so it was covered under warranty!!!!! Otherwise I was looking at about $2400. They couldn’t get the connector out (common problem) and had to break connector plate. Zero cost except had to leave it there for about 4-5 days.
Front brake pad sensors: Sensor light came on about 3 years ago. No issues with the brakes, just faulty sensors. Had new sensors put in and had them put on new pads while they were at it. About $200 as I recall.
Auto dimming rear mirror: The mirror went bad. Bought a new / larger one for about $100 and installed it myself. Be very careful if you do this. Removing the window attachment mount can be very challenging. I took a few chips out of the inside glass.
Radio: I had an early 2004 LED radio. Worked fine, looked good at night but impossible to see in sunlight. I bought an OEM LCD off a wrecked 2005 and installed it myself. $50. I had to buy the radio tools as well for about $10. This was not really an “issue” but I put it in this category because it was impossible to see the screen from the LED.
Center Mount Brake Light: Common issue as I understand it. Light worked intermittently. Just bought a used one for $60 including shipping. Just replaced it yesterday.
Headliner: As far as I know, only the roadsters are free of eventually having this issue. $175 to replace. Happened about 2 years ago.
Washer Fluid Jets: I had the issue where the heating elements in the jet nozzles melted the plastic at the connector and basically block / prevented the fluid from entering the jets and spraying the windows. Removed the cowl, removed the nozzles, used a small drill bit to open the flow to the jets from through the connector area and reinstalled. They work again. I don't need it much given I don't drive in the snow, rain etc. but it bugged the crap out of me for the few times I did need to use it. About an hour plus to take the cowl off, remove the nozzles, drill and reinstall.
General Maintenance
Anti-Freeze Flush and Replacement: Done at dealer about 2 years ago. About $180. Wish I didn’t have to get it done at the dealer but I didn’t want to deal with the old coolant.
Brake Fluid Flush: Done this past spring. About $180.
Oil Changes: Only 1 done at the dealer. Had it done when I first purchased it. All other changes I’ve done myself. Only mobil one. I use an evacuator. Easy, clean and love the fact the filter is on top! Estimate about 8 oil changes in 5 years – so I change the oil about every 3500 miles. At an average of $65 per change for the oil (on sale) and filter = $520
Tires: I ran the heck out of the original (Michelin PS2’s) up to about 28500. They were pretty worn out (and noisey)but given they were summer tires, I feel very fortunate to make it that long. I bought new Michelin Super Sports about 2 years ago. Love the tires. About $1600.
Optional Mods:
FM Transmitter / Bluetooth: Bought it when I first bought the car. $50. Great little investment / device. Plugs into the lighter, plays through the radio via FM signal, plays San Disk cards, jump drive, Ipod, etc. Also, Bluetooth link to phone so voice is heard through car speakers etc. Works very well. Has steering wheel control unit too.
Needswings DCAI: Purchased from Rob, did the install myself. About $1000 including the Mercedes Engine Cover. Love the look and added performance.
Eurocharged: Twice – updated when I did the NW DCAI last summer. $300 Love the response.
Hardwired Garmin NAV: Cost: about $15. I had the Nav and purchased the fuse connector and female connector for the cig plug connector from the Nav cord. Ran to the fuse panel and up the A pillar. Love it. Comes on when I turn the car on and ready to go. Easy access and visablity.
Remote Lock Beep Mod: Cost: about $10. Did this myself. Followed the instructions on the forum. Great mod. I do want to install a louder signal though.

Last edited by PNA; 07-31-2015 at 06:49 AM.