View Single Post
Old 06-24-2006, 06:49 PM
adoni
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Biggest stereo bang for the buck mod

Originally Posted by jeffro
... However, a personal preference of mine is to have "punchy" bass. I like to hear the thump. This is probably very difficult with such small subs. The punchiness came from the mids on the door, even if it rattled the door. ... For a couple of bucks, this definitely removes a major annoyance with the car. It also removed a sound quality that I preferred. I suppose you cant hope for too much with a stock system.
I too noticed the lack of "punch" from the doors at low volumes. I believe that somewhere on this thread is a table of different caps you can use to filter the bass. I've refined pelked1's mod after talking to a friend that does audio installs for a living. He's in Arizona or he told me he'd be here to fix it. What I did was remove the 220mf caps and replaced them with 67mf caps. They don't filter near as much bass and mid that the 220's did and I get some low-midrange back up front ... but for sure the muddy bass is still gone. Search this thread for that post on the frequency cutoff for the caps. You have to admit though, it's much better than stock.

And for those that would like a CD to listen to test your mod ... Ozric Tentacles "Spirals in Hyperspace". It's a funk/jazz/rock/electronic thing but WOW it just rocks on the system with the mods.

adoni