View Single Post
Old 08-27-2015, 09:51 PM
pioneer4x4
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Fob programming for door unlocking

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
Is it possible to program a FOB from car A to lock/unlock car B? Not start, just remotely lock/unlock the doors.

I ask because the description you posted mrmiata looks like programming the doors to the car takes into account having the correct FOB in the correct car. Or the proper RFID for this VIN is being programmed to lock/unlock the doors in the same VIN car. I just don't recall if people have reported they buy a FOB from Ebay and successfully program it for locks but never start the car.

Good theory, bad theory?
Personally, I don't know, but I bet it would work. I have my own theories on how these get programmed and work, which are based on what actually happens, not what most opinions think they are. But I honestly don't know. I think the part about the transponder in the key should be asked of Rob of NeedsWings since he does something to make them functional in you car when you get a new one from him. If anybody can answer correctly, he could.
As for the remote unlock transmitter, I believe that nothing is programmed on the keyfob, but the car is "taught" to accept its codes, and it is taught to authorize it based on the rfid in the key being already an acceptable value.
SO I believe, that if you had your key for your car ready to start, and someone else hit unlock twice right before that, their remote might be accepted in the future for your car. I would love to test that (with someone else's car and keys of course!)
Back to the rfid deal, what I think is
1 - the car needs told what key(s) to accept, and can be done by Chrysler connected to the car
2 - just guessing, but I think Rob programs a blank RFID to the same vin based sequence as one of the original factory keys that came with the car, so it is effectively a clone of one of the original, not a trusted new key.
I'm sure the real info is out there, but I haven't seen it on this site, and haven't really looked hard.
Just remember to think of the key assembly as 3 totally separate devices which are only mechanically connected
1 - Mechanical metal key which manually allows things to turn.
2 - Keyless entry remote fob which uses batteries to transmit when you press the buttons.
3 - rfid chip which is charged from signal transmitted from ring near ignition switch, and then transmits a coded response.