View Single Post
Old 09-01-2015, 02:34 PM
srtmodder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Horror Story

So to just share my experience with everyone here.... Note I easily saw this possibly happening but thought it wouldn't happen to me.

So the story goes like this.

Picked up the methanol and seal kits to try and clean out the inside of the headlights.

Just so all was smooth in removal I removed the front bumper and all the underbody plastics.

Once all was off I got the headlights in my hands. Did the whole process as the "Sticky" said on here. Put the methanol in swished it around and did it few times for each. Headlights didn't look any cleaner but I just went on with putting it all back together.

THIS IS WHERE I WENT WRONG.

Wanting to make sure I got all the connections back together right and that the headlights worked I put the headlights back on the car and turned on the lights.

AND LEFT THEM !!ON!!

Then while assembling everything back together I got to the last bolt of the body pan underneath. I started tightening down and what sound like a GUN SHOT went off and my ears were ringing for a sec.

Thinking at first what the hell did I tighten down so tight to do that. (Obviously wrong)

But then I heard sizzling.... (wtf is that I am thinking)

Getting out from underneath the car I'm looking around and see what I had done.

The methanol that was left over inside that had not evaporated yet had let off enough gas to then heat up so much inside with the new seals that it blew out the bottom side of the passenger side headlight!

Would not have noticed that part though if it wasn't for the 2 to 3 inch flame inside the headlight housing. Panicking on what to do I just started blowing on the headlight to try and put it out. This is where the broken housing helped in the end. The crack and bottom blow out let my breath get by and put out the flame.

So to anyone ever looking to do this just take your time and do not try and speed up the process with turning on your headlights... (obviously hindsight it was a very stupid choice and could have burned the whole car but just happy it wasn't worse)

I may have done the whole process completely wrong but hey its a great story in the end

And now had to order new headlights.. so that turned into a completely way more expensive process.

Hope everyone enjoys my fail of the day!