Thread: My turn!
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2015, 11:31 PM
Franc Rauscher
Received 508 Likes on 351 Posts
Default Re: My turn!

Originally Posted by pioneer4x4
OMG I want that. I remember when my Dad bought a 1980 Sunbird 4cyl 4sp. Then a 1977 Monza Spyder as a parts car, then a 1980 Monza Coupe with low miles, we ended up combing them all with some Pontiac performance sway bars, the 327 out of our 1967 El Camino, and ended up with every factory option except A/C, plus louvered hood with a slight scoop cut into the hood bulge. I still love those HS cars.
Except fotr handling, the V/8 transplant was a cheap way to make that body go very fast very quick. But, it made the thing really heavy on the nose and worthless in the twisties. Originally designed for the "Wankle" rotary engine, the V/6 GM substituted (at the last minute) was equally light. A perfect fit.

Road and Track called it a "poor man's Porsche."
I put over 200,000 miles on my '75 Olds. Mag wheels and sway bars, traction bars and rear louvers on the hatch. Pure 1970's and all fun. I still miss driving that car.

Until I bought my first Crossfire. Closest thing to that poor man's Porsche I have ever driven.

Back to the thread topic; The Glastron was everything the guy said. I think he cried when I pulled away with it. All it needs is an interior. This winter, when I can get it done absolutely correct.

The Vampire is another story. Transom was pretty bad. termites had weakened the core from the keel to the transom and most of the way across the stern plate. It will take three layers of 3/4" marine plywood, all to be laminated in with glass and resins, to beef it up for the 85 HP Merc Kiehkauffer I found for it. A running 1985 model with tanks and controls. All for a bottle of Crown Royal.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 09-13-2015 at 11:50 PM.