View Single Post
Old 10-19-2015, 12:36 PM
velociabstract
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Adjustable upper control arms

The car is fine and I don't believe anything else was damaged. The arms are well made BUT the tower that the stock A-arm fits in is too small for the new arms. After pulling the wheel I could see where the forward facing part of the arm was making contact with the body. The arm broke off towards the rearward part of the arm near the end of the adjustment plate sandwich, if that makes sense, not at the weld. It appears to me they used another make for R&D and assumed because our cars use the same A-arm that the tower was also the same.

Up until the failure my car felt phenomenal. 2nd best time ever in mid 90's heat. I could point the car and make corrections easily. It was squirrelly under braking …… now I know why. I first felt an abnormality after the fastest braking zone. The car didn't have the same grip. After the hairpin, the next hard turn was to the right and that's when it let go at 85 to 90 mph. I went straight through the esses and managed to not spin while coaxing the car back on track. At first I though I had a flat. Driving back to the pits it still felt like a flat until slowing to enter the pits. The it started shaking and clunking and I knew something broke.

I'm tired of futzing with parts that don't work as they should. Especially knowing if that arm had broken almost any other place on the track the best case scenario was a total loss of the car and likely worse.

A gratuitous picture taken after the 2nd. heat.

Les

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2424.JPG (161.3 KB, 85 views)