Old 11-23-2015, 09:52 AM
Kowmander
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How we took a bold risk and joined the Xfire family

Hmm - when I picked up the Zerex coolant, I did see a blue coolant that meets Asian car specs (no silicates, versus the Zerex G-05 which has them), so i wonder if that was installed by mistake, and didn't protect my heater core Still haven't proven that's the problem, but the service manual (in addition to the de rigueur dash dis-assembly) calls for evacuating the A/C system(!) to remove the heater core housing. Not looking forward to the event if that really is the reason behind my coolant loss and the antifreeze smell in the cabin, but the excellent $12 RockAuto clearance price on the core means there's one in a box at home ready to go.

Yes, my opinion of the neighborhood we recovered her from was also informed by the empty Glock holster on the seller's hip, but for a $2k price and the story to tell, was well worth the adventure.

Due to the reluctance of ANY of the 8 or 9 locksmiths I called in Chicagoland to work on the ignition lock cylinder, I took matters into my own hands (and I do agree, if you want something done right by someone who cares, that someone better be you!). You can see from the picture, it's not that difficult. By the grace of God, the first 6 of the tumblers (and the key shape) on the salvage cylinder matched our existing key. By rearranging (2) of the last 4, and picking up one that was on the car floor from the thief, I was able to get 9 of the 10 tumblers looking flush with the cylinder with the original key installed. When tried in the lock housing, though, there was substantial drag when turning. I suppose some time with the Dremel (cutting brass tumblers flush with the cylinder) would have made the fit best, but I was dealing with the original worn key, and worn salvage tumblers, then the profiles sticking out changed when jiggling the key deeper and shallower, so I opted for the simpler solution, and just pulled 3 of the most-offending tumblers. The 6 remaining work great, and I still have the transponder/SKREEM system to protect the car from starting, and we're fine with that. Vroom!

Another hour of struggle getting the lower dash together (heh, glad I have a motivated teen for the upside-down work) and he drove for a spin around the block (er, actually several blocks hard to turn back home!). Even sitting in the passenger seat, i was quickly reminded of how much fun this car is. I gots to have me one, when finances permit.

Parts and tools trickling in (air & fuel filters, Bosch CPS & star sockets, still haven't seen the blower resistor) keep us excited about the next steps to reliable, happy motoring. Now to follow the B service checklist and reset the FFS service indicator...good times!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tumbler.JPG (1.56 MB, 36 views)

Last edited by Kowmander; 11-23-2015 at 09:57 AM.