View Single Post
Old 02-18-2016, 06:23 AM
dedwards0323
Received 538 Likes on 426 Posts
Default Re: Buying 2005 Roadster Limited Ed...

Originally Posted by MrCheapwrench
Forum Folks,

Just a quick question... what is a "fleece-type filter"? And please provide a brand name. In my other cars I use WIX filters or a Napa filter that is made by WIX.

Thanks in Advance... Andy
When you conduct a search for oil filters that fit the Crossfire, there typically are two versions that pop up: one has the filter media constructed from paper and the other is constructed with 'fleece' or cloth-like material. Both filters will work, but there are some of us that prefer the 'fleece' filter over the paper filter. And you can see by M-B's specs, to obtain the extended oil change intervals with the long-life oil grades, the fleece filter is required.

I use the fleece filter primarily because an oil change is every 2 years for me due to my reduced mileage from only weekend getaways &/or road trips.

Hope this helps. Check out the forum on this - there's lots of info. And NAPA does have both versions. NAPA shows the fleece-type applicable specifically to the SRT-6 XFire and is more expensive. But this filter also works in the NA (normally aspirated) XFires. Both typically come with all the O-rings for the filter and one for the dipstick. You have to be careful to get the oil rings installed properly or a catastrophic leak will occur when you restart the engine. The oil filter is on top and makes a real mess whenever it leaks.

The NAPA 'Look-Up" is for the NA XFire. Four filters are most likely the specific NAPA series (i.e., Normal, Silver, Gold, Platinum). If you conduct the 'Look-Up' for an SRT-6 (Model Year 2005 or 2006), the fleece-type filter will pop-up.

Later,

Attached Images
File Type: jpg

Last edited by dedwards0323; 02-18-2016 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Added another attachment