Old 02-20-2016, 05:03 PM
onehundred80
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Re: Sticky Ignition Key Fix for all Crossfires 2004 thru 2006

Originally Posted by Mackel
This afternoon I finally broke down and tackled the sticky key mod. (YAY FOR ME!)
Took me 4 hours, but I go at it slow and methodical. The above pdf is an excellent
road map to get you there. Much thanks to the author, Rekcah, and contributors drhrsh, BobG and onehundred80.

I have 4 observations/comments from the experience.

1. The first page on revision 5 of the Sticky Ignition Key Fix item 5 "Remove the air vent above the headlight switch. It just pops out, you can push it from the back side." The photo on the right showing the vent partly out has the headlight **** off. If you have a car with fog lights you know that the **** pulls out to turn them on. This means that **** is pretty dang secure and you'll pull your arm out of the socket trying to get it off. It doesn't have to come off. The air vent unit comes off around it with the **** in place. Just pry carefully around the edges of the air vent unit and it pops off with the headlight **** still in place.

2. On the 5th page we're taking the transponder ring off. Once off item 9 says, "It has a wire connected to it and can safely hang out of the way." This is true but if you let it hang out of the way you are likely to reinstall the switch assembly with the transponder wire hanging behind the switch. It won't go back on the switch unless the wire is on top of the switch assembly. (Ask me how I know.) HINT: Once you get the transponder loose masking tape it up toward the instrument panel so it stays there until after you've reinstalled the switch assembly. That way the wire stays on top like it was when you took it off.

3. Pay special attention to the orientation of your key and fob when you insert it to start the removal process in item 10 on page 5. If you insert the key in position 0 with the Chrysler logo facing up you'll be better able to re-orient the key and tumbler when you go to put it back in. The key/tumbler goes back in with the key in position 1 - vertical with the Chrysler logo facing right. DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY FROM THE TUMBLER. Just set them both aside until you're putting it back together. Getting that back together was one of the trickier parts of the job.

4. Just an observation and question. Everything I've seen and read about opening the ignition switch hatch said to beware of the spring flying out. My hatch lifted off peacefully and the spring just sat there waiting for me to pull it out. It was not under any load at all. It wasn't stuck and neither was the pin. Both came out without a whimper. Was this unusual?

I'll be sore now for a week. Some of the positions I had to contort into are not possible even on Cirque du Soleil.

Again, I can think you people enough for putting this together. I'm now in a position to help out any Crossfire owner in my neck of the woods with this mod.
I'll gladly pay it forward.
My spring just sat there as well. The **** is still on the switch, if you look closely you can see the symbol on the ****.
I did this last year and I am older than you, I have just got over the pains.