View Single Post
Old 03-16-2016, 01:02 PM
Arm_and_a_Leg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Starter wont engage.

For the past 2 weeks I have been troubleshooting my wifes SRT-6. The car won't start. When I put the key in and turn it to accessory, the radio will come on automatically and I can hear the fuel pump engage, when I go to start it, it will not engage the starter at all. No noise at all from the starter, it does not even attempt to crank. I re-soldered the RCM at the trouble points, had a electrical engineer friend of mine do it who works on circuit boards. he tested it with his fancy tool and it has communication to all points.(so it shouldn't be the RCM). No corrosion around the battery terminals, positive, negative, or the grounded point.

Yesterday, I was sick of the headache and decided to get it towed. Before the tow truck arrived, I put the key in and IT STARTED! I had tried jumping it and starting it at least 30 times in the past 2 weeks after trying numerous tricks that I had found on the forum.

I drove it down to the shop and told them not to turn it off until they got it into the garage where they would work on it because I couldn't guarantee that I could get it to start again. The shop tested the battery, alternator, and starter. They said that all came back in good working condition and that the problem came from there being no communication from the cars computer to the starter itself. (I am automatically thinking the worst and hoping that it is not a PCM failure- $5,000 fix.) They asked for an additional hour and a half worth of labor to trouble shoot the issue. They do not have an OBD3 tool and now I am debating to tow it to the dealership to get it worked on.

Any insight or ideas on what it could be?? I have looked up the SKREEM module, but the car at least seems to engage the starter 3 times and shuts off before it needs to be reset. The batteries in the key fob were replaced in the last 6 months. The doors unlock and lock with the key fob. NO CODES were thrown from the car. The car just turned over 20,000 miles and is still young at heart and my wife's pride and joy. Any and all help would be appreciated.

A.J.
Huntsville, AL