View Single Post
Old 03-22-2016, 07:17 AM
kingdavid54
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Wheel Alignment Woes

Originally Posted by breakneck
Thank you for the response.

They definitely checked the suspension components, as I specifically requested that they do so. I had a suspicion before that I might have something going on there, so I had them check it out and they said it was all good - wheel bearings, tie rods, etc.

My driving habits are pretty normal, but I drive in heavy traffic on pretty low quality roads all year round, so I hit my fair share of big potholes and ridges.

I haven't changed my steering stabilizer.

The wear starts at the outside of the tire in the fronts - the treads closest to the sidewall start to become arched, that's the best way I describe it. Each section of tread is higher at one side than it is at the other on the treads closest to the sidewall. This tapers off as you go closer to the center of the tire, so it seems the outside of the tires are the worst affected. I'll try to get some pics up if you think that would be helpful.

This is the same pattern I saw on my two previous sets of tires, both different brands than my current tire.

I currently have Sumitomo HTR Z III's all around. I was going off the door jam specs, so my tires sit somewhere at or just above 33 - 35 psi all around. The tire pressure indicator comes on at 32, if I'm not mistaken, so mine are definitely above that at all times.

Even after the alignments, my wheel has never been dead straight. It's always a bit to the right, maybe a couple of degrees maximum, but enough for me to have noticed and taken it back to them. They said the alignment was dead on, though, so I took them at their word.
If your steering stabilizer has never been changed I would highly recommend that you get one ,29 to $39 online , if you can change your oil you can change the steering stabilizer, and yes a picture is worth a thousand words check the maximum PSI rating on your tires if it is 50/51 lbs you should be running 75 % of that , which is 37/38 lbs all around. It will give you a more even contact patch and stop the inside outside edge wear.

Last edited by kingdavid54; 03-22-2016 at 07:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
nickwe21 (09-18-2022)