View Single Post
Old 03-26-2016, 09:53 AM
breakneck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Re: Wheel Alignment Woes

Well I took the Crossfire in to the tire shop today. They put it up on the alignment rack and showed me all of the specs, everything was perfectly aligned. The owner of the shop was there and he looked at it himself. He said that this is pretty typical of these cars, and that the feathering really wasn't bad at all, nothing "out of the ordinary for cars like this."

He showed me how to check the tire for "knife-edging" by placing my palm flat on the tire and pushing in across the tire, then pulling back out. He said if the alignment was way out of adjustment that you'd feel sharp edges on the tread when you pulled your hand backward across the tire, from the inside of the wheel well out - my tire was perfectly smooth.

All of that said, I'm still completely unsure what to think. Part of me whats to say that it's a cop out, and the other part wants to believe what this guy is saying considering how long he's been doing this and the fact he looks at tires everyday. Either way, I once again appreciate all of the input from this forum, and I suppose I'll keep driving it the way it is for the time being, knowing that this issue is just going to get progressively worse, as I don't really want to pay another shop that I've never been to for another alignment when I have no guarantee they can do it any better than the previous three who haven't been able to rectify this problem.

In other news, my passenger side low beam died on me at some point overnight, so it looks like I have another project for the weekend! (I've already found the thread on how to replace that, doesn't look too difficult, but man.. when it rains, it pours!)