View Single Post
Old 04-20-2016, 02:42 PM
Thomas Lewellyn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2006 Crossfire will not turn over

Thanks Rob,

I was able to get the RCM out without issue. Would you know if an RCM can be bench tested?

Thanks
T.C Lewellyn

Originally Posted by Rob M
Welcome to the forum.

The first thing that I would recommend you verify is that the Relay Control Module (RCM) is not faulty. You can do a search in the forum to learn more about how to repair bad solder joints if that is the problem. However, it is more likely based on your symptoms (getting stuck in park, no crank, etc.) that one of the relays on the printed circuit board has failed (either through burnt/pitted contacts, outputs, or coil). In that case, the solution would be to find someone that can repair your RCM (tighed1 is a forum member that generously offers this service to include relay replacement).

The RCM is located in the black box just inboard of the battery. Simply unlock the box with the two slides, and the RCM is the black box inside furthest from the battery. It can be released easily by pushing the metal retaining clip back and pulling out the entire RCM still attached to the 5 wiring connectors. One by one, disconnect each connector - they may be a little stiff, but just wiggle them loose as there are no clips holding them in place. The RCM can be opened by gently prying the sides of the case outward with a screwdriver and sliding out the RCM. Just be careful not to scratch the PCB when doing so. An easier way that I have found to get out the RCM is with an assistant. One person pulls on the RCM while the other uses their fingertips to spread the sides of the case, no tools required.

From that point it is relatively simple to test the 5 individual relays. Do you know anyone else that has a Crossfire? Switching a known good RCM from another Crossfire into your car is an easy way to determine if the RCM is the problem.

Also, you can override the shift interlock which is keeping you from getting out of park. There is a little spring loaded door near the bottom left of the selector console. If you stick a ball point pen or anything similar in there, you can override the interlock.