Thread: SRT6 Fan Woes
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2016, 10:47 PM
Cal_Cobra
Forum Regular
Location: Brentwood, CA (no not the OJ Simpson Brentwood, the real city of Brentwood in NorCal)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRT6 Fan Woes

I've been trying to resolve a radiator fan issue on my 2005 SRT6. Initially the issue was the fan wouldn't turn on at all, it was suggested to replace the fan and the fan control module. I did that and still the fan wouldn't turn on. I took it to my neighborhood auto mechanic and he said there was a bus fuse that had blown and that now the fan was coming on fine.

I thought great, that's finally fixed. Today I took the Crossfire into the city to visit a couple of customers, and when I drove home I was stuck in rush hour traffic. The car was running fine, and I glanced at the gauges on the dash and noticed that the temperature gauge was at about 90%....yikes! I turned on the heater and that helped drop the temp down to about half or so, and I was almost home so I decided to continue home. When I got home, I left the car running, and opened the hood thinking the fan wasn't on again, and it was on full blast, spinning so loud it was louder then the engine. Not only that, but it had gotten so hot, that it melted the front radiator grille, it melted it outwards. I was thinking that perhaps the fan was connected backwards, and instead of sucking cool air from outside to the inside to cool the engine down, that it was actually blowing outward, not cooling the engine and acting as a heat gun on the radiator grille and melting it.

IMG_4217.jpg
IMG_4220.jpg

Any thoughts on what's going on? At least I know my fan is running, but clearly it's the engine is getting very hot. Is it possible the fan is backwards?

Thanks!
Brian