View Single Post
Old 07-07-2016, 02:28 AM
IsaiahO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Valve cover leak...

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I've got to get to bed, but here is essentially what I did:

Remove the gas supply line to the fuel rail (driver side towards back of engine), have rags ready to catch the gasoline that will pour out - about 3 ounces or so.

Remove all large bolts, that is, the ones that hold the entire assembly onto the engine (both driver and passenger side), and remove the assemblies from the engine.

Once you get them off, take the small bolts off that hold the little breather covers to the valve covers.

Separate the breather covers from the valve covers - I found that just a small amount of force was needed - I think I cut into the RTV seal, carefully, around the perimeter of the breather covers and they came apart rather easily.

Pick away at the old RTV seal, and get as much off both halves as you can. I then moved to a toothbrush dipped in gasoline to melt away the remaining RTV.

I then cleaned all four pieces with "Purple Power" I got at the auto parts store. I then washed all four parts in warm water - and left things to dry overnight in front of a fan (so the passages in the breathers all dry out).

Next day, I applied RTV to the channels as shown in early posts in this thread. I put the breathers on the vavle covers and tightened the bolts finger tight and waited 1/2 hour. I then tightened the bolts to 7 ft-pounds. I left the complete assemblies to dry overnight (actually all week as I left for a business trip).

THEN, I took the old valve cover gaskets off the car and threw them away. I cleaned the area under the gasket with a shop rag and put on the new gaskets.

(If you have a LOT of miles on the car, now is the time to change plugs! )

Finally, I put the completed assemblies on the engine, tightening the large bolts to 10 ft-pounds.

Reconnect the gas line, start car, watch for gas leaks at the coupling you just put back together !!

My car only sees daylight a few days a month. If yours is a daily driver, you can just yank the breathers off and do a quickie fix, leaving the valve covers in place and not bothering with new gaskets - just put new RTV on between the breathers and valve covers. Just be warned that doing this quickly and then driving the car will probalby mean leaks coming back. Also, it is easy to get shreds of old RTV in the engine doing this if you are not REALLY careful.

But reallly, this was my first repair to a car engine other than changing an alternator or plugs - and I had no problem doing it. It's been months and about 750 miles since I did the fix and I have no leak at all.
Have no problems with the breathers just the passenger side valve cover