View Single Post
Old 07-07-2016, 08:11 AM
dedwards0323
Received 538 Likes on 426 Posts
Default Re: Valve cover leak...

Originally Posted by IsaiahO
Have no problems with the breathers just the passenger side valve cover
The issue is to remove the valve cover, you'll have to remove a few star screws that serve 2 purposes - 1) secure the breather cover to the valve cover; 2) secure the valve cover to the engine. So when these specific star screws are removed, some of the holding force between the crankcase breather cover & the valve cover will be removed. This sealed joint is only an RTV gasket, and could result in a leak later after you replace the valve cover gasket. I don't have any 1st hand experience on this, so others can better provide guidance.

For me, before I started the cranckcase breather cover repair, I went around the valve covers on both sides & re-torqued the star screws (to the proper value of 10 N-m) that only hold the valve covers on the head. And I found nearly all of them "loose" in that they all turned a little to reach the correct torque spec. And I personally think this is a factor why the valve covers on my 2007 Coupe haven't leaked at this point.

You may want to see if re-torqueing the star screws will stop your leak. I'll bet the screws are no longer tensioned to the proper pre-load of 10 N-m (approx. 7.5 Ft-lb).

Note: In pizzaguy's post above, I disagree with the torque values he stated. My investigation earlier found that the values were 5-6 N-m (4 Ft-lb) on the small aluminum screws and 10 N-m (7.4 Ft-lb) on the larger star screws. Applying 7 Ft-lbs (9.5 N-m) to the small aluminum bolts might result in shearing the head off. These small screws only need to be slightly tighter then finger-tight. pizzaguy says it worked, and his advice is typically "rock solid". But I wouldn't do it on the small aluminum screws.

Good luck with your repair. Later,

Last edited by dedwards0323; 07-07-2016 at 08:48 AM.