View Single Post
Old 07-07-2016, 12:49 PM
Rob M
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Crossfire Oil Change

The FSS clock (days) + wrench service indicator should only come on if it has been at least a year since the last time the FSS was reset. If you're driving only a couple thousand miles a year there is no issue with going a bit longer than a year. IMO, even stretching the interval out to two years in otherwise pampered low mileage vehicles isn't going to hurt anything, especially since there are 8 quarts of oil to absorb contaminants and preferably a fleece filter in use.

I change oil no more than once a year, and have stretched it out closer to two years on one occasion. At some point (approaching 2 years after prior reset) the FSS clock appeared with a countdown and something like 40 some days (I can't recall exactly where the countdown started). But it will count down from that point in days (though I've read others report it may skip around, up or down, a bit as it counts down). When the clock gets to 0 days it will then be preceded by a minus sign as it counts up (as in you are this many days late on your service).

At -365 days, the PCM will send a signal to the SKREEM module to disable the starter to avoid damaging the engine until the FSS is reset (just kidding, I made that last sentence up).

Back when Crossfires were stacked up on dealer lots and selling slowly some new Crossfire owners were surprised to learn their Crossfires needed service right away as indicated by the wrench and clock.