View Single Post
Old 07-16-2006, 12:50 AM
robwm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes not stopping ... anyone else

After having gone for over twenty years without an accident I managed to rear-end two separate cars, within 2 months of each other and at 5-10 mph ... maybe its age setting in and slowing down my reaction time ... but I am beginning to wonder if its not the brakes in the Crossfire... I am also wandering if any others on the list have had a similar problem ... not necessarily accidents but maybe close calls coming to a stop at low speeds...
Here are the details on what happened to me, both times: in traffic coming to a controlled stop (my foot on the brake) with what appeared to be sufficient distance (2-3 car lengths) to the car in front. In both cases the car in front came to a sudden near dead stop. I reacted immediately, I thought, and literally stood on the brake but could not stop before bumping into the car in front of me; I estimate that both times the speed at the time when I stomped on the brakes was no more than 10 mph (remember, I was already coming to a stop); the air bag did not deploy in either incident. Both times the nose dove, the brakes did catch, no tire squall and no tire burn marks. Scratched the Crossfire's bumper, bent the hood-latch retaining post, and cracked the plastic grille both times (nearly identical damage).
Now I am quite willing to consider/accept that maybe it is solely due to me and bad reaction time, but still wonder if there is something not quite right with the brakes... could they be fading at these low speeds ? Anyone else have anything similar happen to them?