View Single Post
Old 07-23-2016, 12:00 PM
GraphiteGhost
Received 388 Likes on 335 Posts
Default Re: Spoiler Current Draw ?

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I don't think it is all that much. Pretty easy to measure - yank the trim off, open one side and insert an ammeter.

I SUSPECT the fuse (which varies from year to year, I found out this spring) supplies power to more than the motor, but you could measure the flow thru it while the motor is running versus when the motor is NOT running and you'd know.

In the 05 Limited, it was fuse 20 in the underhood fuse box. It's different in '04 - I cant remember which one it was, but it IS different in 04's.

To add to PG's post, if there is more being 'fused' by the spoiler fuse locaton, I would go ahead and test (using the DC ammeter) at the fuse location. Don't know what your reasoning is for asking the question, but I can offer some additional information. Have someone cycle the spoiler 'UP', then 'DOWN' with the meters operational and the car runnniing. It (the current measured) should be approximately the same during both operations. If there is a marked difference, something may be binding. Knowing the voltage supplied (requiring a second 'voltmeter' while at idling speed), and the current measured with the ammeter, you can evaluate the fuse size installed. Please do not put a higher fuse in the circuit, fix whatever is causing the 'possible binding' so your circuitry is safe as designed. IF the spoiler is NOT causing high current draw, then you have something else (another circuit) pulling any higher load (if your blowing fuses, remember I don't know why you were asking the original question). I'll try to see if my 08 service manual can tell me if there is anything else after the spoiler fuse, in the circuit with the spoiler motor. Hope this additional information helps!