Old 08-02-2016, 10:57 AM
onehundred80
Received 560 Likes on 470 Posts
Default Re: dipstick read & "oil high" notice in the odometer in v-6 engine

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
This is a good point. There is always wear occurring within the engine. The oil just helps to minimize the impact of that wear over time. To do this, some oil loss is expected & desired so engine life is sustained. Even the OEMs, by the dipstick design, show a good oil level range which verifies that some oil loss is expected & not a concern. But for most of us, we hardly see any significant oil loss on the dipstick.

IMO, if having to add a quart of oil between oil changes is occurring, I'd be concerned about engine wear becoming a problem. Back in the days before synthetic oils, I'd probably say 2 quarts between oil changes. And that might be a stretch!
The worst condition an engine of mine got was a 4.3 L GM V6 that ate itself up as the coolant entered the oil. All the while the dealer kept stalling by asking for records of oil usage and mileage. It ended up using 1 qt of oil in 150 kilometers at which point I gave in and had the engine rebuilt myself. I took the engine out and reinstalled it myself. In a GMC Safari van it was tricky, I labelled and made note as parts were removed and later reinstalled everything in reverse.