View Single Post
Old 08-06-2016, 11:34 AM
onehundred80
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Re: "High Heat" light comes on

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Ohhhhhh, I think that I know what he's talking about - he's just making an incorrect assumption.

This has to be the famous "HI" message in the odometer window. It means "HI OIL WARNING" - it comes with a nice little beep to get you to look at the dash - and is caused by putting in more than 8 quarts when you change the oil.

I've driven Crossfires over 70,000 miles and have never seen the alarm since I changed to 8 quarts.

Some of see it a lot (or CAN see it a lot with 8 1/2 quarts in there) and I once thought that this had to do with variations in how the sensor is mounted or something - I have come to the conclusion that it also may be how we drive the car. Both my first Red Roadster and my Graphite would do this - the Graphite had 8 1/2 in it when I drove it home from Arizona. The drive home in the SE was only 400 miles, and I drove it easy - it got an oil change the day after I bought it, so I don't know if it would have been alarming on 8 1/2 or not - don't care, either, since it'll never have 8 1/2 in it as long as I own it.
Every time I saw HI I said HI back, I thought it was just such a friendly car.

I think you are correct in your idea. I always add 8 litres of oil and have no trouble, I changed it the other day and no HI warning. The level is just on the MAX level mark. I estimated that the car used

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-06-2016 at 11:37 AM.