View Single Post
Old 08-10-2016, 06:39 AM
dedwards0323
Received 535 Likes on 425 Posts
Default Re: "High Heat" light comes on

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Every time I saw HI I said HI back, I thought it was just such a friendly car. I liked this!!

I think you are correct in your idea. I always add 8 litres of oil and have no trouble, I changed it the other day and no HI warning. The level is just on the MAX level mark.
Originally Posted by pizzaguy
This has to be the famous "HI" message in the odometer window. It means "HI OIL WARNING" - it comes with a nice little beep to get you to look at the dash - and is caused by putting in more than 8 quarts when you change the oil.

I've driven Crossfires over 70,000 miles and have never seen the alarm since I changed to 8 quarts.

Some of see it a lot (or CAN see it a lot with 8 1/2 quarts in there) and I once thought that this had to do with variations in how the sensor is mounted or something - I have come to the conclusion that it also may be how we drive the car.
Like pizzaguy, the one time this warning came on for me was right after an oil change & then 2 days later at a ToD weekend in Fontana. HI OIL LEVEL came on all weekend while driving the various "twisties" in the mountains. Came home & siphoned out some oil. No more warning! And ever since, I change oil by refilling with only 8 quarts. And the dipstick always shows oil at the MAX level of the acceptable range.

I also find it interesting that onehunder80 can change oil using 8 liters (8.45 quarts), which is the recommended amount, and some of us that have refilled with 8.5 quarts (8.04 liters), which is pretty darn close, get the HI OIL LEVEL warning. I can't fathom the M-B oil level sensor being that sensitive. (Note: We're talking about a period when M-B didn't have the best reputation for building quality cars.) Add to that other XFire Owners that use 8.5 quarts during an oil change and have never gotten the HI OIL LEVEL alarm. Chalk one up for the XFire gremlins!!

Last edited by dedwards0323; 08-10-2016 at 08:41 AM.