View Single Post
Old 08-14-2016, 04:35 PM
T. K. D.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What did you do to your Crossfire today?

I attempted a headliner recovering this past week, which failed. As others have noted getting the headliner out is a chore (especially if its your first time and you are not certain what to do or look for). I purchased knit material w/1/16" foam backing that matched the A-pillar coverings in color. The trim shop charged me $67.00 for the material (about 2x normal price for 2 yards), but it gave me the opportunity to go through there catalogs to pic my color. Went through normal manual/PDF procedure for removal, Used a trim removal kit so as not to screw-up trim or clips/pins. Got a 10 piece trim kit off amazon for under 20 bucks. Also purchased Permatex headliner adhesive from auto zone. Even the the end result was not favorable, here is some stuff I learned.

1. Its wise to cover dash with cloth to protect against scratches (as others have suggested) the liner board is of a pressed stiff material capable of scratching, I also covered the top of the seats and the inside of the passenger door.

2. I removed my headliner from the car by keeping the rear of it slightly above the seat backs, then angled the front towards the passenger door, yet close to the windshield. Angle in such a way the passenger A-pillar form exists first, then the passenger rear tab. As you continue to rotate the liner front towards and out the passenger door (staying fairly close to the windshield) the drivers side A-pillar section should come out (its a super tight fit and you may have to force it some (it may bend some, but is stiff enough to retain its shape). Then completely pull the board out with the Driver's side rear tab exiting last.

3. I pulled the old material off, the a stiff plastic bristle brush to remove the old foam backing. I wasn't sure if the liner board could stand up to a wire brush, but it can. For small particle clean-up I used a clothing lint roller (it worked like a charm).

Here is where things went sour!

1. Following most Youtube examples, I applied the material/adhesive to half the board. The spray can only permits you a small fan pattern so there is considerable pattern overlay in the attempt to cover the board well, so once I started to lay/massage the material in place, because the 1/16" foam backing is so thin, you could see the linear pattern of the adhesive sprayed underneath. Right away I could see this wasn't going to work. The original liner cloth also appears have 1/16th inch foam backing, but I'm sure the auto industry has a hole different mechanized process to adhesive application and laying the material. So I had to slowly pull the stuff back off with the aid of a hair driver. It took hours cuz the Permatex definitely did its job sticking things together.

2. I noticed on ebay, you can typically get headliner cloth with 3/16 foam backing on average of $25.00 and twice the amount I got for a much higher price. Later contact with the trim shop revealed that the 3/16th backing was used on older vehicles, but it may be a better choice for a DIY job. They also likely have a way of spraying adhesive where they can cover the board/material in 1 to 2 passes. So I'll likely get the cloth from ebay in 3/16 backing since its likely to be more forgiving in terms of the glue pattern underneath.

3 When I first inquired of Trim shop services, the required $330.00 for them to do the job completely; $170.00 if I brought just the liner to them. Some pics are attached but in no special order.

4. There is no need to take your rear view mirror off (just position it straight), or shift ****. Also there is no need to completely remove the back trim, just pull free the first top clip on each side.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0166.JPG (2.18 MB, 21 views)
IMG_0167.JPG (1.41 MB, 18 views)
IMG_0169.JPG (1.32 MB, 15 views)
IMG_0170.JPG (1.27 MB, 12 views)
IMG_0173.JPG (1.31 MB, 12 views)