View Single Post
Old 11-07-2016, 06:54 AM
dedwards0323
Received 535 Likes on 425 Posts
Default Re: Class Action Lawsuit

Sort of been interesting for me to follow this thread the past couple of weeks. Lots of discussion concerning whether a car is covered under a recall by whether it's the original owner or subsequent owners. My understanding is that if the NHTSA issues a mandated recall for a safety issue, the only thing that matters is whether the specific car VIN is included in the recall lot. There typically isn't anything factored in as to whether the car is still owned by the original purchaser. (Note: The TAKATA AIRBAG RECALL has another factor in that where the car is located determines the priority order in which the car is repaired. But all the cars included in the recall get repaired if they are still "on the road" & registered (only way FCA can trace the car).)

Now if the recall is issued by the car manufacturer due to some known defect (like the rear window in a Crossfire Roadster coming unglued), all bets are off. The car manufacturer can issue that recall with any qualifiers it feels are justified and/or adequate. And saying that they would only cover cars originally sold in the Southern states & still owned by original buyers (correct me if I got this wrong) would limit the financial exposure to them. And when it comes down to it, it is all about financial risk and potential impact. It is a "bean counters' world. Overall goodwill and market image become secondary concerns for these auto manufacturers. They typically can survive a little ill will.

There have been much larger recalls over the years that manufacturers have taken years to put behind them, but these do go away eventually. Remember the Pinto exploding gas tanks during rear-end collisions! Remember the original Firestone 500s that delaminated & failed catastrophically! Remember the Audi issue with going into gear when shift lever was placed in park! And all these brands overcame those recalls. The Crossfire rear window is a "drop in the bucket" compared to these issues.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 11-07-2016 at 07:54 AM.