Thread: Tires
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 10:51 PM
Rob M
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Tires

Originally Posted by BlackCrossFire6spd
Last I checked, the continentals were standard, and the michelin pilots were the optional tire. Why would the lesser quality continentals be offered as an upgrade option?
Hopefully this will help clear up any confusion:

The standard tire on 2004 Crossfires was the (max performance summer) Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. The optional tire, listed as a $185 upgrade, was the (grand touring all-season) Continental ContiTouringContact CW95.

At some point Chrysler (I believe during the 2005 model year) also began equipping Crossfires with the (max performance summer) Continental ContiSportContact 2 as the standard tire, while the Continental ContiTouringContact CW95 is still the optional tire.

I think some folks are confusing the two Continental tires, one being an all-season and the other a summer tire.

The Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 is significantly more expensive than either of the Continental tires. There is no obvious reason why the ContiTouringContact CW95 adds $185 to the MSRP. My guess is that Chrysler thought that tires having some winter weather capability would appear to have more value to the consumer. There may have been other issues such as volume discounts on the PS2.

I also think some folks are under the impression that a summer tire is only good on dry pavement. When it comes to performance, the summer tires are superior to the all-season tire in both dry and unfrozen wet pavement. However, the all-season tire will provide at least some traction in wet, frozen weather. Some primary reasons for the all-season tires on a Crossfire would be for driving in snow/ice (have fun!), comfort (sidewall probably not as stiff), cost (currently only around $600 for 4 at tirerack!), and treadwear (UTQG rating is higher than those of summer tires).