View Single Post
Old 02-20-2017, 01:46 PM
Billy22Bob
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: SRT-6 Power Expectations

Originally Posted by bbsrt6
I'm pretty sure it's more that the transmissions in these cars are somewhat sluggish. My srt6 sucks coming out of corners or from a roll in automatic mode. In manual mode, the car pulls hard as hell all the time once you figure out how each gear works. 1st and 2nd are powerful throughout the entire rpm band. In 3rd, you need to have high rpms to get power out of it. Try to come out of a corner in 2nd if possible and if u have to use 3rd, then you better time your shift so that you have high rpms when the car actually does shift into it.
My moneys with bbsrt6. I've had the SLK32 (same car...almost) nearly 5 years and when driving hard around any corner, u need 2nd gear going into it under brakes. The SRT6 does 64mph in 2nd at 6200rpm and the engine is still as quiet as a mouse at 3500rpm (36mph). You get used to finessing the +/- shift the more you drive the car. Besides, it will automatically change up to 3rd if you redline it coming out of the corner, but a 60mph corner is very fast and very rare in my world.

PS - the SC only cuts out (clutch disengages) when in Park and if AIT's are high (not sure on the value - maybe >180F(80C) - someone else can confirm). High AIT's can happen more in autocross after continual high rpms and low speed (cornering) which leads to heat soak in the Engine/Supercharger/IC components. The low speed obivously not cooling the engine, the high rpms (>2500rpm) cause higher boost = more SC compression heat into the IC. On the standard heat exchanger/pump, I've found the IC/HX circuit needs at least 30 seconds at >50mph(80kph) to dissipate the added energy of a 5 second WOT event for temperatures to return to where they were before the WOT.
Although this is controlled by the ECU - its not really a high level of computer control.

Last edited by Billy22Bob; 02-20-2017 at 02:01 PM.