Thread: Pulley shaft ?
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2017, 09:08 AM
onehundred80
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Re: Pulley shaft ?

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Way back when I had Merkur XR4Ti's, the timing belt had to be replaced every 60k miles or 5 years, whichever came first. And this wasn't something that could be avoided - don't ask how I know!

Anyway, to get the timing belt installed, one had to remove the accessory belt drive pulley that was mounted out front on the crank. Naturally, this bolt was tightened to that 150 ft-lb torque range. But it could be removed with relative ease by using a strap wrench on the accessory drive pulley to hold the crank while using a 1/2" drive breaker bar to loosen the bolt. Since the pulley was keyed to the crank shaft, nothing moved when you performed this maintenance. Of course, aligning the crank to the camshaft had to be correctly done during install of the new timing belt. And the strap wrench was used to re-install the accessory drive pulley & apply the correct torque to the pulley bolt. But all in all, I got to where this was almost routine to perform.

I still have several strap wrenches in my toolbox for just such a need on anything else I drive. Strap wrench just might work for this application.
Do you think a person using a strap wrench could exert more pressure than someone using a breaker bar?
My breaker bar is 24" long and someone using a 12" strap wrench would have to exert more than twice the force on it.

Anyway the screw must be replaced with a new one, the last thing you want is the old one being used and breaking.