View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 09:49 AM
tunaglove
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: SRT-6 Power Expectations

Originally Posted by waldig
I have autocrossed the srt-6 for years and it is a toad. I redesigned and changed the heat exchanger -supercooler- for better cooling, added hood cooling, designed the pulley saver and oil separator in an effort to gain some response and avoid heat issues.

The problem is the computer and had even tried a sprint booster............. but the computer will not respond to the throttle, there is a delay and thats that! Watching the dash dac you see the delay and the throttle is cut when gear changes happen. I had a phantom rear to help traction and ran in first gear to get off the corner - this is how i became aware of our heat sensitivity.

My girlfriend pastes me on the track with her 2000 gt mustang as she has a real throttle body with a cable, nuff said. I have the better posi rear now and well see how this year is as I went to a better intercooler thanks to Rob. But we still have a lot of latency in the throttle body.

I even spent a year and a half trying to get two throttle bodies to work, the computer will not allow more air without bucking. My plan was that two throttle bodies in parallel will open at the same rate and twice the air flow. Remember my dual CAI gave us 25 hp below 2500 rpm? Aint so with two TBs, you will buck and shake something awful as the computer hicckups and shuts off the engine, as the air mass flow is outside its parameters and homie dont play that game. Rob was also trying larger TB but there is a limit that just wont allow it to drive.

OBTW the two TB seemed to work in WOT position but you could get a hicckup now and then and if you do that at high RPM the change in RPM and negative torque will shear off your crankshaft key, spin off the harmonic balancer and generally trash your MONTH. Been there and done that. So the TB is computer controlled and the response is a TOAD.

You have to deal with it on the autocross circuit, and hope you can carry more speed into the corner to get you thru. To that end I have done 18s on all four wheels, slicks on all 4 and also just the rear with no real break thru's. I even have a switch on my Yaw sensor to be sure it was off line, got into rear wheel adjustable control arms back in the day of MikeR, car goes like wheee in a straight line, not so much in the autocross corners.

Sorry, WDY
What if what if what if someone daring like you would try a drive by cable throttle body and leave the original throttle body connected to the harness and just tucked out of the way? Would the nanny ECU be smart enough to catch on?? Also on the dual throttle bodies maybe two N/A 68mm would flow less and not freak out the ECU. Just some ideas!