View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 11:48 AM
onehundred80
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts
Default Re: re-did steering wheel

Originally Posted by ewaynec
I have looked for ways to clean or rejuvenate the Alabaster steering wheel, and I finally found a way.
I was looking for Dye or shoe polish to match but couldn't find one. I found a website where they were changing the color of cheap leather purses. They gave instructions, and it sounded like it would work on my project. Surprisingly it takes acrylic latex paint (there is a leather paint, but it is the same thing). The hard part is matching the color. In the craft section at Walmart they have small bottles of latex paint. Get 1 yellow and 1 brown and 1 white. (50 cents each) I used about half of the white to start, and a little brown and a very little yellow. You will have to adjust back and forth until the color matches, but I got it exactly after about 3 tries. Mask off the center part. (I just painted the outer part).
I cleaned the wheel good, masked it, painted the first and second coats with a watered down (1 to 1 mixture of paint to water) Wait about 15 to 20 min. between coats (Do not let it dry completely). Then paint the third coat with undiluted paint. I was surprised that it turned out so well, it looks like a new wheel. You can still see the texture of the leather.
Here is a "before and after" picture.
The first picture looks wheelly wotten, but the the second pic looks wheelly, wheelly good.
You could say it turned out wheelly well.