View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 11:51 AM
onehundred80
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Re: My Airbag recall fiasco..

Originally Posted by Hangman
So after a few weeks, I finally got my car back after I brought it in to have the airbag recall done. What should have taken 30 minutes turned out to be weeks long..

Feb-13: I received the letter notifying me that the air bags are now available for the recall. I called the dealer to verify the airbag is in stock and made appointment for the 17th.

Feb-17: Took day off to bring my car into the dealer for the recall. Was informed that they do not have air bag in stock. I told them I had a confirmation that the air bag was in stock hence they made the appointment for me. They said sorry, no air bag in stock and will take about a week or so to get parts. Frustrating to say the least.

Feb-27: Got call saying air bag is in stock. Made appointment for Mar-1.

Mar-1: Brought my car in. Service tech said the actual work should take about 30 minutes but won't be able to get to it for a few hours. I said no problem, as I am just dropping the car off and they can get to it when they can. Around 5:00, I called to see if I can pick up the car. Service advisor informed me that its not ready. I asked why and he said they don't have the tools to remove the air bag. Apparently the Crossfire requires a specific tool to remove and install the air bag. WTF? I said okay, so when will it be done. he said they don't have ETA, as they have to source the tool.

Mar-3: No calls for two days, so I called to check. They said still no tool.

Mar-6: I called to check, he said they should get the tools that day.

Mar-7: I called to check, he said they got the tool, but after they install the air bag, the air bag light is on and they needed to reprogram the car to accept the new air bag. Unfortunately, they don't have the software nor the interface tool to reprogram it. I asked when they will have it, he said they don't know and that they are trying to source it. He said it would be a few days. I said no problem, as I was taking the kids on vacation for Spring break.

Mar-17: I called and left a voice mail for status check. No answer.

Mar-18: I called again for a status. My Service advisor wasn't in so left another voice mail.

Mar-21: Got a call from the service advisor. They still don't have the software nor interface to program the car to accept the airbag, but another local dealer does, so they will ship the car to that dealer to have it reprogrammed.

Mar-22: I was called and informed its ready.

Mar-24: I picked up the car.

Needless to say, has not been a pleasant experience.
Guess what? They lied to you, members here have shown the air bag separated from the front trim and all that was needed was a regular hex socket. My bet is they set of the red light and were looking to fix it all the time. I have had my air bag out and never set the red light as have many here, you disconnect the battery first and that does it. You do not connect the battery until the new bag is in place and wired up.

Attached Images
File Type: png
Takata-1.png (690.8 KB, 115 views)
File Type: png
Takata-2.png (729.6 KB, 109 views)