View Single Post
Old 04-20-2017, 07:06 PM
markr6754
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: oil pressure notification

I mistakingly added 10 1/2 quarts to my Crossfire during an oil change about 3 years ago. I never noticed on the dipstick, because I didn't check after adding the oil. I "knew" exactly how much I put in...so why bother (yeah, dumb move!).

The next morning I got the Hi Oil alert after about 15 minutes driving. It still bothers me that the alert wasn't presented immediately after starting the car after the oil change...but there you go. I was not in a place where I could do anything about it, so I drive for the day, and on my return I sucked "some" oil out. The alert went away, and I feel better.

Next morning...same thing. After 15 minutes driving, the Hi Oil alert returns. And once again, I can't do anything until the end of the day. This time I decide to keep sucking until I can see the right level on the dip stick. After a short while of sucking I said out loud...this is ridiculous...where is all this oil coming from? Then it hit me...the two - 1 gallon jugs of Mobil 1 that I used were, in fact, 5 quart jugs. And the 1/2 quart that I'd saved from my previous oil change was just additional insult. Terrible lesson...and with a lasting legacy. That's when my valve covers began leaking...with just enough drip on the exhaust to bring back memories of my old 1962 Ford Galaxie....the first car I ever bought. Whether conventional or synthetic, oil on exhaust manifolds smells the same.