View Single Post
Old 04-23-2017, 08:37 PM
JHM2K
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: SRS light on after Takata airbag recall

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
I'm just going to say I think the dealership(s) is/are incompetent. I believe them hooking up the wrong test equipment MAY BE causing this problem for all the members. On The Job (OJT) training in the service bay is partly causing this problem, poorly written step-by-step instructions complete the problematic replacements. They give the box to a tech and let him/her go at it using the included instructions. IF the SRS system was not activated, the SRS 'test' step through their OBD computers, is not necessary. The people with SRS experience know the module just needs swapping correctly. If they leave that last step out (the SRS test) and simply swap it after leaving the NEG cable off for @ 2-3 minutes, then the system will work again when they reconnect the NEG cable (providing they did not 'pinch' a wire or break anything, which experienced techs do not usually do). If the replacement went bad because of any damage or breakage during removal/replacement, the system self-test will fail anyway. Hooking up the diagnostics will only point to a possible location in the process. So by whether the diagnostics point to a failure, or the SRS light shows an error, the problem happened after the service dept checked in the car. We know the air bag can be safely removed and installed without those OBD systems hooked into the car (way too many members have done it). When you bring your car in, video the SRS lamp during startup (showing the successful SELF-TEST), and make the tech document there is no SRS light lit by pointing out the SRS self test works correctly. That should put them on notice that they should have someone with experience do the work.
I'd say you're probably bang-on with your assessment. We have the same struggles with our "certified" Nissan techs. Truth be told, the Crossfire airbag issue is likely a combination of both dealership OJT failures and minor abnormalities between airbag control module and the SW in the airbag control module. It would be interesting to see if 2006+ Crossfires use the exact same p/n airbag controller as the earlier Crossfires... IIRC the 2006+ had a minor change in the dash geometry; may or may not have affected passenger airbag dimensions and thus, warranted a different part number.

Originally Posted by onehundred80
If this was true then every car would have this problem surely? I thought that the bag got its instruction from the air bag controller and the only instruction it would get is FIRE, no self checking ever.
Yes and no -- it may be different with the Star-DAS airbag units from the time our Crossfires were produced, but in most cars, there is a code built into the airbag which "talks" to the control unit. It also receives the fire/no-fire command from the central control unit, but there is an additional code to validate whether or not it's a genuine part. Again, I don't work for FCA so this is merely speculation based on my work with Takata in the past for Nissan vehicles. The scenario I've listed above is probably an outlier; I'd say the hypothesis from GraphiteGhost is more likely