View Single Post
Old 05-12-2017, 11:05 AM
Kurtp13
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Headlights Cloudy

Originally Posted by nickwe21
I posted a thread on here a while back about Sam's Club! I have not found a better and less expensive alternative to be honest. Not only do they take their time in masking the surrounding area very well before sanding but also do they use several layers of clear-coat to make sure the lights don't fog up anytime soon from sun exposure. It's been almost 5 years now and the lights still look like new. Only thing, on one headlight the clear coat is starting to peel off so I will take it in next week to make use of my warranty before it expires

I read someone's post about a film covering and saw some on the web. I contacted 3M and it sounds like they have a new product that is a preventative treatment like sunblock. I did ask a followup about where it will be sold but have not received a response yet. Here is my exchange:

Hello Kurt,

Unfortunately, 3M does not have a film that is recommended for headlights or a product to reduce fogging.

3M recently came out with Quick Headlight Clear Coat, 39173. It is an easy to use headlight wipe with clear coat that helps keep lens looking cleaner longer. It has extreme UV protection and helps prevents lens yellowing.

Regards,

Allison C
U.S. Business Services Operations
3M Automotive Market Center
Automotive OEM & Tier Suppliers | 3M/
800-328-1684 option 1
-----------Original Message Follows------------
Do you have a product that would work to reduce fogging of headlights?. Either another film or a liquid to reduce UV damage.?

I see other film products on the market for headlights. One states it was developed jointly with 3M and is used on aircraft canopies.

Kurt

-------- Original message --------

Hello Kurt,

Thank you for contacting 3M, where we apply science to life.

Scotchgard(TM) Paint Protection Film is a clear protective film for reducing stone chips and bug damage on painted surfaces. It is intended for use on high-impact areas, such as hoods, bumpers, rocker panels, wheel wells, side mirror backs, door edges, etc. The film can be used on new or refinished vehicles, as long as it’s applied to painted surfaces fully cured to the paint manufacturer’s instructions.

This film is not approved for use on headlights or windshields because of strict government regulations for optical clarity.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Allison C
U.S. Business Services Operations
3M Automotive Market Center
Automotive OEM & Tier Suppliers | 3M M/
800-328-1684 option 1

-----------Original Message Follows------------

Subject = Scotchgard Paint Protection Contact Us

Message = Can I use a paint protector on headlights to avoid fogging? Would it help with UV and/or abrasion?