Old 07-08-2017, 11:30 PM
SCrowBird
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Re: Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.

I only have 90K on my 2007 Roadster. However, the reason I even replaced the shocks (and steering stabilizer that this thread suggested) was that I had flat spots on one of my front tires (the other was newer due to flat in sidewall) and since my alignment was fine, NTB suggested replacing shocks.

I didn't really notice much difference in ride with new shocks. Maybe a little stiffer, but not much noticeable. the only thing the mechanic noted was it definitely seemed to be ridding higher when he first let it down off the lift, but after I test road a few blocks, it seemed to settle down lower to what seemed like normal.

Arghh! At NTB they wanted $900 to provide/install KYB's, whereas I got for $200 total on Rock Auto and had a mechanic with a lift install for $180, saving a cool $500. Yeah!

However, I went back to NTB where I had a 3-year Alignment deal as roads in DC are so bad, I am constantly needed alignment, so this would be free. But they said, "oh, when you replaced the shocks you should have replaced the springs". Whhhattt? They never even suggested when they wanted the $900 for shocks only and they said now they do not even do springs.

The reason they said I need springs is that there is no camber adjustment available at all now with new shocks on, thus I need new springs.

I didn't see anyone else even bring up spring replacement around this steering stabilizer and another shock replacement discussion.

Anyone have any suggestions? Does that all sound right or should I get a 2nd opinion?

Also, in looking around it doesn't appear that anyone like Rock Auto, PartsGeek, Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts, etc. even carry springs.

Any thoughts from someone that know more than I would be appreciated. Thanks!