View Single Post
Old 09-24-2017, 05:32 PM
Astrofriend
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Error code P2096 and P2099

Hi Zip439,
Thank you for a great advice to check the exhaust system for a leakage. I thought that any leak should be clearly heard with out that hose help.

I started this day to check all vacuum lines with the garden hose trick. The only place I could hear a weak whistling sound from was the two hoses that are connected to the valve cover. When I disconnect the hose and held my thumb over the open end the whistling sound disappear. Then there was not any leak here.

After that I started to check the exhaust system using the same method. But I could only work through the engine room, the car is too low and I couldn't reach the exhaust system from under. I could test the exhaust manifold, the connection of O2 sensor and the joint after where the catalytic converter connect. That part sounds ok. Maybe I can take it to a garage and let them do a pressure test.

To summarize where I stand now:

Bank 1 (passenger side)

O2-sensor 1 upstream, pendling between 0.1 to 0.9 volt several times per second. Looks to be ok.

O2-sensor 2 downstream, idle and cold 0.5 volt. Not driving car but 1500 rpm the voltage decrease and suddenly it start pendling betweeen 0.1 volt to 0.9 volt, about the same as for sensor 1. When driving under load it could have any value between 0.1 to 0.8 volt. Later it can go down to 0.1 volt under low load on the engine. I will say strange behavior.

Error code P2096, too lean

Bank 2 (driver side)

O2-sensor 1 upstream, pendling between 0.1 to 0.9 volt several times per second. Looks to be ok.

O2-sensor 2 downstream, idle and cold 0.5 volt. One minute later when the control system goes over to closed loop it start to incease, end after about ten minutes at 0.9 volt. Not driving car but 1500 rpm the voltage change a bit down. When driving under load it could have any value between 0.3 to 0.9 volt.

Error code P2099, too rich

I must say, I'm not sure if I have a problem at bank 1 or bank 2 or I have two separate different problems. But I think it's only one bank that's wrong and the other just depends on the other. In your case it was only one error code.

When I open a vacuum hose and let air come in all four O2 sensor goes down quickly to 0.1 volt. When reconnect they go up again to the voltage they had before. That test gave correct behavior, ok.

It's a bit strange, especially the bank 1 system. It could behave different different days. If I have a crack in the cat of bank 1, maybe it opens and close dependent of the situation?

I bought four O2-sensors and have only used two of them yet. Maybe I shall try to replace the two post sensors too. But to save money I just bought two with complete sensors with connector mounted, the other two with only cables. I thought I could take the connectors from the bad ones that I replace. But now none of them seems to be broken and then I don't want to cut the cables of the old ones yet. I also have the two replaced upstream O2-sensors that looks to be working, but one of them had a bad thread, then I don't want to use that one.

But to my surprice I can't find anywhere to buy new electric connectors to them, any one know where to find them? I found the connector house but not the sockets that I need four of to every house.

ps.
Yes, astronomy is really exciting, but now with all the time I'm spend on this Crossfire I do not get any time left over to the astronomy. Now, for example, I would finish the new observatory so that I can now start taking photos from the summer house, we have much better darkness there compare in the city. 20 years out on the oceans sounds great!

Lars

Homepage:
Astrofriend's homepage

Last edited by Astrofriend; 09-24-2017 at 05:35 PM.