View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 07:26 PM
onehundred80
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Engine revs pulse

Edit : I have rewritten this post to include all of the pertinent information rather than have it spread out through three or four posts.
I have had the car for nearly six years and a Crossfire for twelve years and today I had my first trouble with it.
I accelerated a bit fast onto the highway and the engine stopped responding to the gas pedal but the revs rose and fell every second from 1,000 to 1,200 rpm, needless to say the ride became very jerky. The engine light came on as did the BAS/ESP and ABS
warning lights. I disconnected the battery and reset the throttle this did no good at all. When I looked for DTCs there were none. The lights did not come back on immediately but came on later so the battery disconnect fixed them for a while.
I searched for a cause but could not see anything that looked like my problem.

Engine sat and was restarted a number of times with no change. I let it rest overnight to see if anything changed.

Well, I found a problem, I swapped out the RCM first as you never know your luck, no change there.
So I disconnected the CAI and looked at the throttle body and guess what I found?

Where did it come from, there was a seal remaining on the OEM intake, I checked as I thought it must be missing.
The rubber was trapped under the butterfly, I had to be careful, I did not want pieces of it in the SC, but maybe there is some already in it. After removing the throttle body I gently removed the rubber.

Looking down stream I found the culprit, the air filter had disintegrated.

Some pieces of the rubber had gone missing in action, but I found some inside the filter and some was found stuck to the clamp slots for the screw clamp. I guess the inter cooler should be inspected for bits of rubber. Anything going through the SC like rubber would be ground to small pieces I am thinking. The Green filter was put in while I cleaned and oiled the K&N one, guess I forgot to replace it as intended.
Edit
The Green filter must not be oiled, I had oiled it when I put it in. A few years later I found the instructions for the Greeen filter and they said no oil is to be used on it. So it was the oil that wrecked it.

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-20-2018 at 01:31 PM.