View Single Post
Old 09-27-2017, 02:11 PM
onehundred80
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Re: Irma/Maria - survived

Originally Posted by velociabstract
I've had some PM's wishing me the best, thank you! Myself, wife, dog and Crossfire are all safe and sound. I'm writing from Boston as we had the foresight to book the first flight out, which was canceled, but with outside help rebooked for the next day. Theres a 20,000 person waiting list currently. The airport is under military control. No radar. Flight instructions come from Miami. Only 10 flights a day. When we checked in they revised a printed list for our names. The airport is an oven. The early estimates are between 4 and 8 months to restore power to the major metropolitan areas. The entire Island is devastated. For the time being the people are dealing well and there's order. When we left it was uncertain whether chaos or calm would prevail as food and diesel were running out. At that time all purchases were cash only, banks were closed and ATM's inoperable. All my phones were inoperable sincluding land lines. No communications at all. Now it seems, at least where I live, that calm continues. Our condo found diesel for the emergency plant, some banks have opened and gas rationing is subsiding. When I return is undetermined. Pray for those still in P.R., the Virgin Islands, San Martin, Culebra, Vieques, etc. The have a long road to travel to regain some normalcy.

Les
Good to hear from you and that at least you and yours are OK.
Your President says you are getting great help, let us hope that is true for once.