Old 10-01-2017, 06:18 PM
mlutze
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 tries to start, then no cranking - SKREEM issue??

Hello all - I have a 2004 Crossfire wth 118K on it, I have owed it for a little over 2 years and really love it. BUT need some help...

The other day I pulled the car out of the garage to do some fall cleanup. When I attempted to pull it back into the garage the car cranked 3 time but failed to start, after that it would not crank at all. Tried to jump it no luck, and still did not crank. Well rather then finding this forum and saving $130 for a new starter I was off the the part store got the said starter, and paid my kid a few 6packs to install it for me (he is a BMW mechanic). Anyway after reconnecting the battery the same behavior 3 cranks and then no more. THEN I found this forum, and did the RCM re-solder fix, reconnect the battery, 3 cranks and no start. Found some other posts about people disconnecting both leads of the battery and then things working. Tried that, 3 cranks then nothing. So then found the posts regarding a bad SKREEM, it sound like the 3 cranks then nothing is the typical behavior of a bad SKREEM. Note also the battery in my KeyFob died about a month ago and have not gotten around to replacing it, so can't say if the fob works or not.

This leads me to the question of what my next step should be. Do I have to tow it to the dealer to have them fix? If so what is a reasonable cost? I did see a post that someone was just able to order a new SKREEM from the dealer and install them self, but I am confused about the whole key programming thing and how does that work?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. THANKS!