View Single Post
Old 08-01-2006, 06:54 PM
Rob M
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 0-60 in 4 flat and 50 mpg

Originally Posted by GTR DRAGON
Rob M I agree with you on the report, it was kind of biased to make the oil industries look bad but, but even if the car is a kit car (I highly dout that if the kids that built this car, did have the funding behind them. They could built a car from scatch thats asking way to much.... Remeber these are Highshool students )

These kids did put in more effort then the auto industry was done in years. and the kids should recieve some kind of applause or a scholarship (to futher their education)...

Remeber folks the engineers/mecanics are Highschool kids not automotive industry designers/mechanics/engineers. They went way beyond the call of duty .
that's why i was hoping the story would provide some details on how the team integrated the engine and motor into the platform and how they overcame any design obstacles, etc. i do agree that regardless of the specifics of the vehicle it does show what a lot of hard work can accomplish.

the real issue though is that petroleum is still relatively inexpensive and efficient. ever-increasing demand and eventual diminishing supply will lead to alternative fuels in the future. this might sound contrary to common sense, but it's probably best for the U.S. to keep using mineral oil until the easy to get at reserves are gone. the reason i say this is that the u.s. and a few other industrialized countries have the highest standards for emission controls. china and other developing countries have very relaxed pollution controls. it will take them decades to reach standards where we are today. so it makes sense for us to continue using the fossil fuels to ensure that the pollution caused by such fuels is minimal. when it's gone the developing countries will also be using the alternative fuels.