View Single Post
Old 12-30-2017, 08:53 AM
onehundred80
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Re: Best order for engine removal

Originally Posted by ardenian
I am going to take my 6 speed manual n/a engine out and I am looking for the best way/order to do this. I have just bought a 2 ton crane to help. Any ideas ????
These modern cars are a lot different than the old ones which you can pull out without much thought.
What you must do is keep a systematic log of the order you take things off and keep all the parts you take off in that step, the part and it’s screws etc all together in a marked box, tin or all together on a shelf or whatever. This way you can reassemble the engine in the reverse order. Photos can be a help, easy with today’s digital cameras and phones.
I did this on an GM V-6 engine and decided at one stage to skip ahead and put on two parts, wrong. I had to take the last part off again because it fouled a part I had skipped over as it went on.
Parts come off in order 1, 2, 3 etc and go back on in order 3, 2, 1. This saves a lot of frustration and time.
If I recall two lift points are already on the engine and there is a lift point you have to add. A nice engine stand makes life easier, I made one from 2x4s locating on the engine mounts it was OK but more awkward than a good engine stand. Good luck.